Monday, June 13, 2016

Still chillin in brazil pt. 10

Here is Elder Olivier's email that he sent today!!

Hey everyone! This week was super cool! On Monday we got visited by a member of the area quorum of the seventy, Elder Leal. We didn´t have pday :( but it was super cool and spiritual. Then, on thursday, BOOM we (the missionaries close to manaus) got visited by Elder Christensen, a member of the general quorum of the seventy. He and his wife speak english and spanish, and they had a translator that translated english to portuguese, so the meeting was a mixture of english and spanish and portuguese, which was cool and kind of confusing. But it was so cool. I have a testimony that general and area authorities are literally called of God. One thing that I noticed was that the instant Elder Christensen and his wife walked into the sacrament room there was a noticeable difference in the atmosphere, kind of like a huge rush of a peaceful/calming feeling. You could tell how much they love the missionaries.

This week we went on exchanges. My companion went to an area in downtown manaus with the district leader there, and I stayed here in Manacapuru with his (the district leader´s) companion. I don´t know the area super well yet but we managed to work pretty efficiently. I surprised myself by how much I know about the area already.

Also I took pictures of two rivers this week: the blue one is the Rio Negro and the brown one is the Amazon river. Never in my life did I think I would be next to the amazon river. It´s so cool. Also, it is in fact true that if you relieve yourself in the amazon river there is a tiny fish that swims upstream and.......harms you. Scary fish.

Today we were walking around looking at the river and we saw an iguana! Crikey! Look at the size of that monster!

So these past two weeks we had some surprise visitors at our ward, a group of americans that is doing a service project here for a thing called HEFY (humanitarian EFY- which is not actually a real church program, just something some member made) where youth from the US go to a country that they choose to do humanitarian aid. Apparently a couple of groups of americans will pass here in the next few weeks. I took a picture with only a few of them, because we went with them to visit one of our recent converts. We had everyone bear there testimony about Jesus Christ, and I translated for everyone so she could understand. It was pretty cool because in the middle of it she bore her testimony too, and she has only been a member of the church for one month. 

This week we had the opportunity to baptize a girl who was (until now) the only member of her family that hadn´t been baptized yet. It is so awesome seeing how people change because of the gospel. I wouldn´t give up the chance to serve a mission for anything. I´ve been out here for 10 months, and so far it has been the craziest/hardest/best 10 months of my life. The church is true!


I hope you all have an awesome week! I love all of you!


Love,

Élder Olivier!






No comments:

Post a Comment